Can you believe it’s already February? We are in the worst of the winter months and if you live in a dry climate like I do, chances are, your skin is feeling it. You didn’t think Miss Beauty Nerd would allow you to get through this winter without sharing a couple tricks to beat these winter woes, did you? ;)
Here are 5 tips to keep your skin in check during the winter months:
1) Turn on the humidifier. And if you don’t have a humidifier, buy one. The dry heat coming through the vents is sucking all the hydration out of your skin, so make sure you combat the issue by putting some moisture back into the air.
2) Use a hydrating serum… after your toner, but before your moisturizer. Try to choose one that contains hyaluronic acid or sodium hyaluronate. Note that all skin types can benefit from hydration, even if you’re oily!
3) Pocket a hydrating mist (no not steal one, silly! Just make sure you have one in your purse!). I use my hydrating mists both as a toner as a skin refresher for an instant pick-me-up throughout the day. I consider it one of my ‘do-not-leave-home-without’ items, especially when I’m flying. There’s nothing more dehydrating than being on an airplane!
4) If you haven’t already, switch to a slightly richer, more emollient moisturizer. Of course if your skin is oily, you need to be careful you do not choose a moisturizer that is too rich for your skin, otherwise you may breakout. If this is the case, you may find that adding the hydrating serum to your regimen is sufficient. On the other hand, if your skin is dry, make sure that you use a formula that is going to moisturize and enhance your skin’s ability to hold onto water. Try looking for moisturizers with ceramides, jojoba oil, olive oil and/or cocoa butter because these ingredients can help strengthen your skin barrier, making it more resilient to potential irritants.
5) Drink lots of water and/or tea. If you are worried about caffeine in teas (although the amount is minimal), opt for a caffeine-free tea like an herbal or rooibos tea. A sip of tea will not only warm you from within, but it will also effectively hydrate and give you a healthy dose of antioxidants.
Just 5 simple rules – it’s no biggie, right? And trust me, your skin will thank you! If you have additional tips to combat winter skin that you want to share, leave it in the comment section below. I would love to read them! Happy Friday lovelies…